Saturday, September 12, 2009

Si Lin, Si-Lin, SiLin, Silin

I was asked by the social worker at our agency what we were going to name Si Lin and I told her that we were going to keep her name. But, then I got a tougher question....would I hyphenate so her name would read "Si-Lin" and people wouldn't just call her "Si"? And that raises a question tonight and the answer has yet to present itself -- what is the right thing to do? Part of me thinks I should give her the name she was given as it was given to her. The character pronounced as "Si" means 'thinking about' and the second character of her name, "Lin" means 'jem' in Chinese. This is her name -- why change it? She is leaving her country behind and her first home, seems only fair to let her keep her name as is. Then I think about what its like to have an unusual name here -- with Davida everyone assumed I was David until they saw me. Yami whose given name is actually Iyamoro had it even harder. So, Miss Si Lin for now, what do we do? Si Lin, Si-Lin, SiLin, or Silin.....could you think it over and let Mommy know in the morning....that would really help me out......

No comments:

Post a Comment