Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Its offical, Ma'am....

Twice in the last week, I have been called "Ma'am." The first time I can't remember where I was or who called me "Ma'am" but the second time I remember.... I was in Rami's in Brookline ordering a falafel and humus plate and it happened.....the person behind the counter said, "here is your order, Ma'am."

"Ma'am" is what you are when you are not "Miss." "Ma'am" is a sign of respect, its more formal, but when it really comes down to it, "Ma'am" is what you are when you are not-young and yes, "Ma'am" is what you are when you are old.

I was "Ma'am" this week for being not-young. Thirty-seven trips around the sun are showing in the way of some greys, some lines, and some spots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the all the life I've had so far and I will be be grateful all the way through, but there was a little sting this week when it became offical.....no longer, Miss, it seems pretty clear, I better get used to "Ma'am."

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when I had only taken a few more trips round the sun than you when a lady at Walmart asked me if my then two year old was my grandson!!? To top the cake, she then said "You sure waited a long time to have him!!" @@@!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you lovely comment on my blog...Happy new year to you and your family as well...sounds like it's about to become very exciting in your house! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete