Sunday, September 13, 2009

Oh, the red thread....

I wasn't really going to explain the red thread thing here....if you are in the China adoption world, you've heard about the red thread over and over again, but I think I'm going to briefly explain for those of you who aren't familiar with the China adoption world because you're going to hear about the red thread eventually and I might as well be the one to fill you in....so, here it goes.....

In Chinese, there is an ancient proverb that goes like this.... "An invisible red thread connects those that are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break."

And so here is our red thread connection.....although adoption had occurred to me from time to time as a someday idea, one day I woke up and knew I had to call the adoption agency..... I didn't know at the time and in fact I didn't know until we saw Silin's paperwork more than 2 years later that that day I called the agency was 5 days before Silin was brought to the orphanage in China....one week after she was brought to the orphanage, I was sitting in the adoption agency beginning the process....it was as if I felt that I had a daughter waiting for me in China --

Our paperwork was mailed to China on my birthday in 2008 and very soon after we had our log-in-date (LID) -- 8/18/08 (a very lucky number in Chinese b/c of all the 8's)

Fast forward to just a few days ago-- China says we can be Silin's parents on 9/9/09, the day I first became a parent to my oldest who became 9 that day, and then our agency tells me we will likely leave on either my youngest or middle son's birthdays --

Silin is my daughter in the way that my boys are my sons. She didn't grown in me and I'm sorry for whatever circumstances that made her Chinese parents unable to care for her but given that that is the situation, she is meant to be my daughter....there is simply no question....and so that is what people would call the red thread connection in a nutshell.......stretched or tangled......but never broken.......

No comments:

Post a Comment